Sunday, September 16, 2007

Down and out...

I've got a nasty cold that came on suddenly yesterday morning. I thought baking cookies and getting to bed early would help knock it out of my system. I guess that's one reason why I'm not a medical doctor...it didn't work.
My sweet hubby did go to the store and he brought some medicine to at least keep me on my toes enough to look after the three girls today while he and Brock went to the NFL MN Vikings vs. Lion's game in Detroit. His beloved Vikings must have colds too...cause they got knocked down and out a few times today as well. At least all our neighbors will be happy for the week...but as Chip would add...probably not much longer than that if their happiness depends on their Lions. =)
I made a double-batch of my mom's recipe of creamy broccoli soup, despite feeling less than stellar today. The girls all loved it and I actually could still taste it a bit. Hopefully the vitamin C in that will start to do it's magic in my congested head. We spent the rest of the afternoon playing board games and making cards. I made a couple of simple Christmas ones, as well as played around with a new owl stamp {Thanks, Sherri!}. I may post the cards later- if I get a burst of energy.
Besides baths and catching up on some blogs, I tried to take it easy. I know the coming week is gonna wipe me out if my cold is still hanging on. I have to say that feeling lousy sure makes me appreciate feeling 'normal'. It's a reminder to me to be grateful for my health and for that of the rest of my family. I have a list of people that I pray for that are battling things much bigger than my cold. I know it's not easy, but even in the midst of the pains and weary days I find there is always something to be grateful for and to thank God for those blessings. Even if I have to start with the really obvious, simple ones. I find myself today feeling down and out when it comes to my health. But I still laughed and played with my kids; I appreciated nourishing food; I heard and uttered the words 'I love you' several times; and I recalled Teagan and her smile that always encourages me. I may have an ordinary, simple life...but I have more than enough to be grateful and for that I consider my life extraordinary. It's all how you look at things. Even on the days when you're feeling down and out!

9 comments:

Sonja said...

Jody, I'll pray for a speedy recovery for you, I know how hard it can be trying to hold down a house when you don't feel 100% (try Zicam too, it helps me out all the time)

Anonymous said...

You are SO welcome Jody! Can't wait to see your creations!
I hope you're feeling better REAL soon!

Anonymous said...

ZICAM!!!! the cold remedy nasal swabs are the best... if used right away it can K.O. a cold before it gets into the bad yucky point (or shorten it if you are already at that point). Also Airborne (or the walgreens brand) is great for boosting the immune system... I personally use a mixture of both along with sudafed (the real stuff).

Welcome back to the school year huh?... My house already had our fisrt cold of the school year less than a week into school :(.

I'll keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery and that no one else gets it.

Laura S. said...

Oh I hope you feel better quickly.
I made chicken soup the other day hoping to keep the beginning of the school year colds at bay. I am gald you were still able to enjoy the girls.

Your spirit of gratitude is always inpiring!

joy said...

Jody,
I too have come down with the "ugly" cold. At first I thought that it was just allergies, but apparently I was wrong. Thanks for reminding me that things could be a lot worse than just a cold. I appreciate your positive outlook on life even when things may not be quite so pleasant. Thank God for those days that we are feeling normal and well. I am looking forward to them already. -Joy R.

.Tom Kapanka said...

This "cold" has been going around. I had a touch of it Friday night. Hope you're feeling better. I've had time to scroll down tonight. Great pictures. Great color. Great "slices of life."

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the cookies didn't work. You must have an infection or something. Try just the cookie dough, it always works for me.

Anonymous said...

Jody,

Miss having you at bible study, but know how important it is to be where you are. Let's try to do coffee some morning, when your schedule allows.

Becky

mAsOn & tErrI's mOm said...

I know the cold your talking about...its the "The Weather is PERFECT" germs that are floating around! You are right tho, a small cold should never stop us from thanking God for everything he has given us!