Wednesday, March 07, 2007

"Playtime"...



Okay. First I have to clarify the whole 'GOD' on the Starbuck's cup from yesterday. Seems more than a few of you had questions about that. It really does say, "GOD"...but that's because I wrote it there when I got home. You know me. I just never know when I might scrap a page or use a little 'inspiration' like that cup for something. So, I took the opportunity to write God on the cup because it was so true for me. As much as I enjoyed my latte yesterday, it was the reality of God's presence that gave me the 'boost' I needed in my life at that time. Sure, the espresso did it's thing, but it was the time I spent connecting with God, and not only reading the Bible, but I really felt Him guiding me to things He wanted me to read and understand. That's what I meant by God showing up at Starbuck's. I just think it's a great idea for us to really notice Him at times. Since His presence was so obvious to me, I just added Him to my cup! I think maybe more people should take a 'shot of God' in their cup each day. Just think of the implications of thousands of people 'drinking in' God before work starts, or as they drive down the expressway on their morning commute. I wouldn't mind hanging around the watercooler if all my coworkers had gotten their "God-fix" already. So, that was that, and I just wanted to make sure everyone was clear on that post. {Good thing I've got the comments turned back on for that, huh?!}
I have to share some photos from today. Wyndham drew a cute little figure all by herself. I've been noticing that she is drawing more and more pictures, shapes and letters that I can decipher. It's so great to see that emerging. I know she's got so much inside she would love to get out if only her brain would cooperate with her desires more. It's all a part of her life as a result of her head injury, and the amazing thing to me each and everyday is how much she takes life in stride- even though I really believe she wishes she could do more much of the time. She doesn't let it discourage her though, and I am very fortunate to be able to say that. Many parents and families struggle with kids who have severe behavioral and emotional issues in addition to the gross and fine motor skill delays. We just keep loving Wyndham the way she is; we keep pushing her as much as she tolerates with therapy and school, and in the end, we are blessed to see progress little by little. I just have been so proud of her taking the initiative and expressing herself in small ways- like with this MagnaDoodle. She loves when we praise her for her efforts- there's nothing I love more than seeing her face glow from her accomplishments! She's earned everybit of our 'gushing' at times. =)
The next picture is Bella posing with a box of "prizes" I just got in the mail from Sizzix. They sent me an email and I got to create a wishlist and then they mailed out the product as a belated congrats for being a finalist in the Creating Keepsake's SOY contest. I don't know who was more excited to see the things in this box- Bella or me. I had her take a picture of me doing a little "Elsie-thing" for all the die-hard scrappers that read this. =) Now I get to learn and play with a new die-cutting machine and some of their fun products. I picked a cupcake/ice cream cone set for one of my selections...and Bella was all over that one. She wants to make lots and lots of cupakes now. I'm sure we'll have something scrappy to show you in the next couple of days. God and Starbucks and new scrap products and cupcakes. Yep. All is well in Nitty.Gritty. Land. today. Next thing you know Heidi Swapp is gonna drop by! {I'm joking...just so you don't start leaving me some crazy, excited comments wondering why Heidi is coming to my house. =)} I suppose I could use a shot of "her" in my next real Starbuck's. That'll be sometime next month, by the time I get another morning off. =)
Oh. One more thing. I don't want to forget this, and I almost did already, so I'm noting this for myself here...but it's cute, so you can read it too. I said to Isabella yesterday as she was trying to get a cup out of the cupboard, "Why don't you just ask me for help?". To which she replied, "I did. In my own mind." I think that's how I treat God sometimes. I know I need His help, but I sometimes forget that I need to actually ASK for it sometimes. And yes, He does know what I'm thinking or what I need...but sometimes He's just waiting for me to recognize my own inabilities and weaknesses and say it outloud to Him. It's amazing how much I learn from my kids.

15 comments:

CyndiAKADisneyqueen said...

First of all I love the " take a 'shot of God' in their cup each day" . Secondly I am drooling over my laptop right now at all of the sizzix loot. Happy scrappin.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I had to laugh because I sat there for longer than I care to admit trying to figure out what GOD stood for on the Starbucks cup! G = grande, etc. I am a HUGE DORK!!

Anonymous said...

I'm celebrating Wyndham's progress with you! Hooray!!! Baby steps are good, they add up!

karen (in CA)

Anonymous said...

and before i read yesterday's post (when I had just looked at the picture), i thought maybe your barrista had written "God" on there! Maybe it was someone you knew or something...

Laura Williams said...

very VERY cool . . .starbucks, free scrappin' stuff, cute kiddo artwork and GOD! A Fabulous day!

Rays Family said...

whats even better from a Mom with a kido with special needs is that "I" know exactly what her picture is. That is so awesome.

We so treasure those "baby steps"!


Way to go Wyndham love your drawing!

Joe's Mom

Anonymous said...

Jody:

Have you ever thought about enrolling Wyndham in an art class, so that she can "express" what she needs to through paint & paper?

You might just have a budding artist on your hands.

~~Maggie

Anonymous said...

AHHH! Now I get it. Like Jen I was trying to figure out what GOD might stand for, then I was thinking you and the barrista struck up a conversation about God and she wrote it on there... NOW it all makes sense and I LOVE that you kept a picture of it!

And, whoa! Look at that Sizzix haul. Lucky girl! Your dd is totally doing an Elsie! :)

Happi said...

Hi there...I'm new to your blog (saw it linked at another and decided to come take a visit). Your story is amazing. I think I remember seeing it on Oprah...your family is the picture of grace and a testimony to God's faithfulness. Thank you so much for sharing! I love scrapbooking, but don't have enough time with my little ones. I'm thinking of tackling a project during spring break. : ) Anyway, it's nice to meet you. Feel free to drop by my blog sometime!

Carrie said...

Out of the mouth (mind) of babes...

Anonymous said...

Loved your post on God meeting you at Starbucks...then today! Loved that as well! Your daughter just might be really creative as the picture for one her age is pretty good, I'd say.
I just wanted to add that God meets me sometimes when I least expect it and it's always an encouragement to me as well to know that he's available 24/7 and I don't even have to have 'dial up' or dsl to make the connection!! He's my "love" and my "protector" and my "all in all"!!

Anonymous said...

ooo Jod, love the sizzix stuff just drooling. Could you send me a couple each of tags? they are sooo cute!!

Jill said...

I was so inspired by your post the other day that I've invited a few moms to meet tomorrow morning at Panera for bagels and coffee and God.
I'd love to hear about this new sizzix machine, I see them everywhere but have been to shy to ask what the story is on them and if they are worth the investment of time and resources.
Your scrapbook pages have inspired me to think outside my normal "box" page and I'd love some input on all this scraping.

Jenny said...

I love when we find God in unexpected places :) The only thing I love more is when my children recognize something he has done for them!

I am anxious to see what you create when you get some time to play. Does Wyndham like to cut and glue paper? She has such a great picture, I am glad you took a photo to save it for her to show her later :)

Lea L. said...

Okay...my first thought was to be SO jealous over all that fab Sizzix stuff! Then I realized....that is so awesome for you, and I can just hope that someday I will get a call like that! Tee hee!

I just love your posts, and this one is no different. I love the thought of getting a shot of God every morning...I am going to have to do that too! See...now I am a copy cat! (At least this is a good thing to copy!)