Saturday, August 08, 2009

Yum.

Baked Caramel French Toast...one of my favorite foods! {Photo by my friend, Corinne- miss you!} I've blogged the recipe for this somewhere in my hundreds of posts here, but figured it was a good a day as any to post the recipe again. I posted it at Facebook too. It's that good. We'll be eating a double batch of it soon. Perfect for a rainy day dinner. =)
The thing about this French Toast is that you can make it the day before you want to eat it. The bad thing about this dish is you want to eat it all the time! I've made it as is, but also subsituted any kind of milk for the cream, and they all seem to work well in this recipe. For toppings, we usually eat it as is too. But it's great with sauteed cinnamon apples, as you see here with sliced bananas and a drizzle of syrup, and of course, it would be great with fresh berries smashed with a dash of sugar and poured over top.
You really can't mess this one up. It's that great.
Enjoy and have a great weekend too!
Recipe for Baked Caramel French Toast
TOPPING
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
FRENCH TOAST
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
8-12 (1/2-inch-thick) diagonal slices French bread
DIRECTIONS:
Spray 13x9-inch pan or (3-quart) glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In medium saucepan, combine all topping ingredients; mix well. Cook over medium heat until smooth, stirring constantly. DO NOT BOIL. Pour topping into sprayed baking dish.
Beat eggs in shallow bowl. Add milk, vanilla and salt; beat well. Dip each bread slice in egg mixture, making sure all egg mixture is absorbed. Place bread slices over topping in sprayed baking dish. Cover; refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
To serve, heat oven to 400°F. Uncover baking dish; bake 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and toast is golden brown. Let stand 3 minutes. To serve, use a spatula and place slice on plate, turning it 'upside-down' (caramel will be on top). Top with various toppings if desired.

Mmmmmm!

8 comments:

Jan C. said...

Sounds awesome. Actually, this is my recipe for bread pudding, pretty much. The only difference is that for bread pudding, you tear up the bread, lol.

I think you are cheating and eating dessert for breakfast! ;-D

Kim said...

It's making my mouth water just reading your recipe.
Will definately give it a go as even though my children are teenagers they want to do baking this week.
I've said fine as long as they clear up their mess!!
It's still lovely to see them baking at this age:-)

Kerry said...

Now that was yummy!! My Grand Daughter will not eat any form of french toast but she loved this. Smacking her lips as ate and saying mmmm!! It was to cut so thanks. She is so picky now I know what to make :)

nicole quinn said...

I read this last night and was excited to figure out I had all the ingredients... so at 11:00 p.m., I was whipping it up!
It was delicious this morning... my boys wondered what the special occasion was.
TFS!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Sounds wonderful and
I am so hungry right now....

Anonymous said...

this brings back happy days jods.........miss you my friend, one day we will eat french toast every sunday together....xxx

Jen said...

Thanks Jody!!! This looks fabulous!! Hugs! Jen

Greta in OH said...

I remember you had a great French Toast recipe. I googled and here you were. I'll be making for tomorrow! Thanks!!!