Friday, January 09, 2009

When there are no answers...

I've gone round and round in my head whether or not to post today, but my heart is telling me yes, so here it is. I learned earlier this week of a tragic story and loss of a young husband and new father from a friend of mine. After following some links online and reading more about the Pearson family, my heart has been heavy and my mind unable to shake the questions and hurt they must be feeling at this very time. [News link here. Donate to memorial fund here.]
After having a c-section and delivering a healthy, little girl, Drew left his wife and newborn daughter at the hospital to go home and get refreshed himself. Tragically, he was killed on that drive home and even as I type this post, his family is having his funeral service.
I get goosebumps when I think of the timing of all of this. The baby was born on December 28th, 2008. I'm sure the family was savoring this Christmas, while anticipating what the New Year held for them and wondering and imagining just how different next Christmas would be. I assure you, they never imagined it would play out this way.
I've been in those shoes. I empathize so much with this young family. Drew happened to be a PGA member and golf club manager- just as my husband, Chip, is. I know full-well, the excitement of having your first child, and at the same time all the challenges that a newborn brings. This new baby, Peyton Mackenzie, shares Teagan's middle name. I so deeply sympathize with this young wife and mother, Emily, who will forever face the Christmas/New Year/daughter's birthday bearing the burden of grief and sorrow that will be intertwined with the celebrations of the season. There are no answers to offer as to the why this had to happen, or how it could have been prevented. There are bound to be tears shed for days, weeks, months and beyond by Emily and all of Drew's family.
If you feel led, please pray for the Pearson family today and as they come to mind. I know that God can give comfort in abundance and even in the suffering of His own Son, He shares in the suffering of our hearts and lives. As I pondered whether to not to share the details of this family's life- knowing them only through internet connections- I couldn't help but feel that one of the reasons I have walked through tragedy and trials is so that I can comfort others in their own sorrows and hurts in life. My morning reading had this quote and verses, which just seemed too fitting and confirmed my desire to share with you today and that is,
"In the future Christ can use your wounds to help heal others." The verses to go along with the daily reading were 2 Cor. 1:3-5, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 5For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows."
So many of you have shared your own stories of pain and hurt with me the past few years. Some of you have written of how my family's suffering has helped put things in your life into perspective. Others have read and wondered how it is that we can go on after such painful loss. I have this to say, it's not been easy, but God has been faithful to me, to my family, every step of the way. Without the Hope of Heaven and the strength to forgive, I know I wouldn't be writing such posts. God HAS healed our hearts and given us comfort in abundance. My prayer is that Emily and her family will not question why- but instead they will find that knowing God is enough. The questions and pain will linger- maybe the rest of their lives- but one day, those who trust in God and His saving grace will have their sorrows turn to Joy and there will be reason to rejoice and thank God for His higher ways.
If you find your own heart hurting today, my prayer is the same for you too. May you find peace in knowing that the God of the universe cares about the things on your heart and mind. And whether they bring you sorrows or joy, He can use all things to bring glory to Him. I thank God daily, that even though I haven't had all my questions answered He is enough for me.

18 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are an amazing woman..you have gone thru so much and are not bitter but so full of love to reach out to others in their time of horror. I will pray for this family and continue to pray for yours. Thank you for sharing your life on this blog.

Vicky said...

So glad you did this post Jody. You have honored them with these heartfelt, beautiful words today. I think you got it just right. We'll pray for them, as we continue to do for you. You have so much to offer and I thank God that you feel led to share with us!

Blessings and love to you and yours!

Unknown said...

Jody, thank you so much for sharing this story and giving us the opportunity to pray for the Pearsons. I am praying for them!

Anonymous said...

I am praying for the Pearson family today and cannot imagine the hurt. Thank you for posting about it. I ran across your blog just the other night from BRING THE RAIN. I stayed up a lot of the night praying for you and your family after reading about the loss of Teagan. God is using you!

Anonymous said...

His Dad is a Pastor here in Fort Wayne where I live so we heard of the horrible accident soon after it happened. They have been in my constant prayers. Thank you for sharing their story (and yours) with such heartfelt love. Blessings to you and your family,
Patricia

Deb said...

Thank you for sharing this sad, poignant story. It really does put things in perspective. I'll certainly put them on my prayer list and lift them up to the loving comforting arms of our heavenly Father. Blessings to you in the New Ayear

kate said...

thank you so very much for sharing. my prayers will be devoted to Emily and her family. I also emailed Matt Logelin who lost his wife after 27 hours post giving birth. Hoping he can reach out to them in time as someone who has walked this journey.

much love to you...and I agree your writing gives me such peace regarding loss and giving her whole heart to Christ.

Tabitha said...

Oh goodness, how sad and awful this is. I am thinking of his family at this time.
Thank you for sharing this story Jody. I will keep the family in my prayers.XXX

Mary said...

This is a very sad story indeed, my heart goes out to the family.

If you would like to know my story let me know as I will not post it here.

... said...

This is such a tragedy. The family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Monique said...

Hello there,
This is my first visit to your blog and I think I found it on purpose. You see, today is the day I found out how my own father died nearly 29 years ago and I am only 32. I think God led you to me and vice versa. I have been living my life thinking something other than what really did happen. And although I was mad at God for my whole life for taking my father away from me, I know now that it was His plan and my soul is resting easier tonight knowing the truth. I don't know what you have been through but I do have a feeling that we have had similar experiences. I hope to read more about your and your family. God Bless you.

Jane said...

beautifully written.
i too have a tragedy on my heart today. in the county north of us, yesterday morning there was a car accident. a 35 year old mother was taking her two teenage sons to school. their suv hit a small (and rare, we are in the south!) patch of ice. the suv moved left of center. both of her sons died at the scene. she has some injuries, not life threatening. my heart is heavy for this mother... the loss and guilt that satan will torment her with is going to be huge. i pray that she knows our Savior personally so that she can rest in His arms for comfort.

Aspiemom said...

Marcia pointed me to your blog and I have posted this family on our prayer blog. Thank you for telling us about them.

I am looking forward to following your blog in the future.

Nuts in a Tree said...

So sad to hear about this family's tragic loss especially during such a joyful time, we will be keeping them in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog!I've been reading for awhile.Thanks for sharing this story...I'm praying for the Pearson family.

Anonymous said...

such tragedy our world is filled with. it breaks my heart, jody. as i read your post this morning, my heart hurts. physically hurts. i weep for the ones left behind because i know the heartache and pain they will go through for years to come. i pray they will find Grace in God and be able to hang on to that. Please let them know the Sprik's are praying for them and that God loves them and that if they let Him, He will pull them through!!

Susie said...

I don't know that I've ever commented, but I've been following for longer than I can remember. This post strikes somewhat close to home as my nephew was born the same day as the little one you mention so we were rejoicing in new life just as this family was. My heart truly hurts for them. Thank you for sharing, as always.

Anonymous said...

such a sad time for this family. my thoughts and prayers are with them. a friend of mine was killed in Iraq on the 31st. He lefts behind his 10 month old son and 21 year old wife. Sometimes it seems like everything hits at once and the only consolation is a trust the Lord does have a plan.