Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Wyndham's turn...






When I look at pictures of Wyndham, no matter who is pictured with her, I get a little knot in my throat almost every time. She nearly died twice in her short life already...and has had more hospitalization than most kids do in their whole lifetime.
Truly, she is a remarkable little girl, and I'm sure Chip would agree that WE are the ones who have been blessed to have her in our lives. Even though we have ached for her and with her and we watch her overcome hurdles after months and even years of trying to reach achievements that come as second nature to most.
She came into this world weighing just 4 lbs. 6 oz.- she was tiny {although full-term} and yet she was perfect. She had no health concerns other than her small size. She was a gift from the very beginning...we got pregnant with her just 2 weeks after a miscarriage. I have no doubt that she was meant to be a part of our lives- even though we didn't 'plan on having her'. Just as with all our other kids. =)
Wyndham has challenged Chip and me in our abilities to accept whatever comes our way. I have seen Chip be his strongest and his weakest as we've sat next to Wyndham's bed at critical moments in her life. I have seen her bring out the best and worst in both of us. And in the end, it has been those defining moments which we have gained strength and vision and purpose in our lives. Wyndham has been cause of some of our greatest concerns at times, but has also been the cause of some of our greatest joys and celebrations...especially as she has defied the odds and done things some doctors never dreamed she would do. Like walking.
We have learned to modify our expectations, while at the same time believing that anything is possible if we just keep pressing on. It's mind-boggling to actually see where we've been and how far we've come, and yet to see we still have a long way to go.
Thankfully, Chip is the one has been so optimistic with life in general, and he's rubbed off on me in a good way, more often than I could note here. I have no doubt that Wyndham has survived her injuries in life for a very special reason. It has kept Chip and me focused and in sync with our hopes and dreams and wishes for our future together. Her life has given us all reason to be joyful in the midst of sorrow, and to constantly look ahead, rather than dwell on the hurts of our past. I thank God for Wyndham in our lives. I can't help but think that God still has some surprises in store for her life. And we are humbled to be a part of that. Each and everyday.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It always amazes me how little faith some doctors have. I have known several children whose parents were told a laundry list of what the child could not do and those children defied all the odds, like Wyndham. This post really resonates with me since I have my own extra-special needs child, who has changed me as a person in all the right ways.

Cheers,
Karen in CA

Christal said...

Love this post on Wyndham. She is absolutley beautiful! I think you right she is VERY special and has a very important job somewhere in her future~ God has a plan!

Kelly said...

Thanks so much for sharing - God does have an awesome plan for Wyndham - just like he has for all of us!

Janna said...

What a precious little girl! This is a wonderful post about her. :)

Sonja said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. In every picture on your blog, Wyndham is the epitome of sweet, she has a radience that always makes me smile. You are both so lucky to have each other and what an enormous blessing to have a partner that will share with you in everything.

Erin Saeger said...

Beautiful thoughts and pictures once again. And yes, children are a gift from our Heavenly Father, and it's important to remember this especially on our "hard" days. Thanks again for such an inspirational journal.

Robin said...

Wyndham just SHINES with her Dad! What a wonderful relationship!

Anonymous said...

Hi there Jodi! Still havent figured out what to do with the RAK I won but do faithfully read your blog still. You are so right about how blessed you are to have all your children, Wyndham included, God does have a plan for us all, and an extra special one for you all & Wyndham. I also know what it is like to be Blessed with an optimistic man who rubs off a little. My hunny has taught me so much just by being himself and I cannot wait to share a family with him...

Just Me said...

Great post! Her smile just HAS to be contagious to everyone she meets. It is amazing to see kids who defy the odds...luckily I get to see it all the time in my job! It is wonderful to be reminded that each day is a gift :o)