Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Celebrate today!

GUess wHat?! Today is Nitty. Gritty.'s 1st birthday! It hardly feels like I've been blogging here that long, but that's the truth. Check out the archives if you don't believe me. =)
SO, hubby probably thinks that I am just looking for a good excuse to get all of you to leave me comments today. The fact of the matter is that I don't need a blog birthday as an excuse to party or celebrate life. That's been one of the core 'messages' here all year long. Everyday we can find something worth getting excited about, or doing something out of character for someone in our life- simply to spread love, joy or just to catch someone off-guard.
Today, to celebrate what Nitty.Gritty. means to you I hope you will do just that. It might be letting your kids get away with extra splashing in the tub at bathtime. Or maybe you want to "act" like me and do a little dance in the car while you wait at a stoplight. Or it could be something very different...like making a tie-dye shirt just because you haven't done something creative and colorful for awhile. Maybe you've snapped at a neighbor or co-worker this past week and you need to say that you're sorry. Then leave a piece of chocolate on their desk or doorstep with along with a small handwritten note. You'd be surprised at how much better it will make YOU feel- not to mention how it can't help but smooth things over with your acquaintance. See? It doesn't take a miracle to make the world a better place...just a little dose of old-fashioned kindness goes a long way.
Today then, I am thankful that I don't need a special reason to whip up a batch of Buttercream if I feel like it. I'm celebrating Nitty.Gritty. style! I'm thankful for the concept of blogging that somebody dreamed up and put into place. I'm thankful that I started believing that I actually had something worth writing, week after week, and it hasn't always been that boring. (Has it?!) I am thankful for over 10,000 people who have stopped by here to take a peek at some of the stories of my life. I am grateful for the friendships and connections I have developed as a result of putting myself out here for all of you to see.
I never would have guessed I would have Nitty.Gritty. t-shirts and magnets, tumblers and supportive fans all from simply clicking the button "Create your own blog" one year ago. More importantly, I am thankful for the things I have learned about myself, my faith, and the things that I truly believe are possible in life.
Now I leave you with a bit of Nitty.Gritty. trivia. It's not that well-known that this blog didn't start out as Nitty.Gritty. For the first 24-48 hours it was titled, Life- This side of Heaven. I thought I was going to focus on my life as I live it- looking forward to Heaven every single day. Oh, wait. It is. It is all about my life as I live it, looking forward to being in Heaven someday. That's how I came up with Nitty.Gritty. It's about all the stuff that happens from now until then- the Nitty.Gritty. details of the journey along the way. Whether it's big stuff, little stuff, "chick stuff", or lessons I've learned. It's about the important things in life- the details!
On that note, I wish myself a Happy Nitty.Gritty. birthday, and I look froward to the journey of the next year. I hope that I've made some of the time you've spent here worthwhile too. Now, go out and do something a little bit out of the ordinary. Afterall, everyday is worth remembering in it's own way. Extraordinary or not!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

for such a young one- you certainly have a deep soul.
your blog does me good!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY....HAPPY BIRTHDAY! YOUR BLOG DOES ME GOOD, TOO!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nitty Gritty. Have a wonderful day. I am celebrating here at work with you:)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Nitty.Gritty.! You're the best!

mary h.

Anonymous said...

When do we get that Buttercream recipe??!!:) Happy birthday, Nitty.Gritty!!

Julia said...

Happy Birthday, Nitty Gritty! Still waiting for the Buttercream frosting recipe!

Anonymous said...

Your blog helps me when I can't help myself. Thank you!

Claire said...

Happy Nitty.Gritty birthday!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful spirit, Jody!

linda t said...

Here's to many more years together... processing life together... growing together.
The nitty gritty in our lives does that you know.
And that's why we need to hear other...
And that's why we check in every day... to learn from each other.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nitty Gritty!

I just started reading this a few weeks ago, and now look forward to it every day. You make me look at myself and how I am living my life, think more about my faith, and give extra hugs and kisses to my girls.
Thank you for taking the time to imspire us all.

Anonymous said...

wow, quite an accomplishment! good to look back and see how we grow, how we stay the same and how the Lord has remained faithful to us through all the nitty.gritty

thanks for always sharing from your heart.
(eliza)beth

Shawnna Samples said...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY DAY

love this blog
keep those posts' coming

:D :D :D :D :D

Kari said...

Happy Birthday Nitty Gritty!! You are inspiring to me, everyday!! I think you are GRRRRREAT!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blog Birthday!

I just wanted to say that I discovered your blog last month and it has instantly become my favorite. I can totally see why you call yourself a "white oprah". You are SO inspirational! Some of your posts have really hit home with me and have touched me more than you'll ever know. Thank you for sharing your amazing thoughts with all of us. Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nitty Gritty Blog! And God's blessings!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nitty.Gritty! You have been such a blessing and inspiration to me Jody! =)
God Bless~
Tammy in Michigan

Nancy said...

AMEN to all you said today and Happy Birthday. You are a very talented, unique, crafty, nitty.gritty gal and I enjoy your insight. You are a blessing indeed!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the good reminders of what makes life worth living. You surely know how to make a sister proud! Happy Nitty.Gritty Birthday and continue the wonderful, inspiring words. Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

happy blogday!

Jenny said...

Scrappy Birthday to you.......

Thanks for the happiness I have to look forward to everyday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday nitty.gritty! and thanks Jody for baring your soul: the good, the bad and the painful!

Anonymous said...

You won't believe this- but I had both buttercream and chocolate today, and that was before I found out it was your Nitty.Gritty birthday! Happy 1st- I'm sure there will be many more to come- maybe you'll be celebrating with a book-signing on your 2nd:)

Thanks for inspiring me and challenging me and supporting me!
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! It doesn't seem possible that the depth of life and lessons you have shared in your blog could possibly have been compacted into a 12 month period. Time is measured but the impact of your blog==your words, your generous sharing-- cannot be measured. Thanks!

Crystal said...

Happy Blog Birthday to Nitty.Gritty! You truly are an inspiration and bring so many good things to my days. Thank you for your inspiration, your humour, your real character - you are one of a kind!

Anonymous said...

Happy NITTY.GRITTY Birthday Jody.
Thanks again for all the daily inspiration. You are the best!

Anonymous said...

Happy Nitty.Gritty. Birthday !!

Thank you for caring for all of us readers.
Thank you for your inspiration each day.
Have a great day !

Jackie Carl
Marion, IN

Laura Williams said...

happy nitty.gritty birthday, nitty.gritty!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogging Birthday! =) Sorry I missed it! =) So I'll celebrate the occassion today instead! Care to send me some buttercream? hee hee. =)